Although lighter than gear current at the time, Wall stated the new design was far stronger and intended for powerful motorcycles with sidecars. The unit had a live axle running on Hoffman bearings mounted in the rear fork lugs, while the gearing was of planetary design with a central gear mounted to the axle, planet pinions and a sun gear riveted internally to the hub gear drum.
In readiness for the 1913 season The New Era Auto-Cycle Company, Dayton, US launched a new machine with a parallel vertical twin cylinder engine mounted transversely in the frame to ensure even cooling of both cylinders. Of mechanical inlet over side exhaust valve design all valves, along with the carburettor and magneto are sited to the rear of the engine.
Enjoy more Classic MotorCycle reading in the monthly magazine.
Click here to subscribe & save.