The way we were: August 1913

Canon Basil Davies

Ixion found the model with its single cylinder engine based on the existing 499cc Rudge, but with its stroke increased to 132mm, initially intimidating. Then he discovered it started easily, refused to ‘gum up’ even when over oiled and it glided away from a standing start ‘like a Rolls-Royce car.’

Like Rudge, Abingdon-Ecco Ltd, Tyseley, Birmingham, chose to launch its new engines in the spring. The first was a single cylinder four-stroke, 499cc (85 x 88mm bore and stroke) unit on established lines but with new features including improved oiling and oil tightness.

Advert

The second engine was a 50º 5-6hp V-twin having bore and stroke dimensions of 67 x 95mm, its design including smooth lines to the castings and the adequate air passages around the unusually large valves. The engine’s lubrication system had been carefully considered. Oil was fed directly to the timing side plain phosphor bronze main bearing, then led by channels and grooves to the flywheel, flinging the lubricant by centrifugal force to the big ends and other sites. A bypass system was also fitted enabling the rider to hurriedly pump oil into the engine if the need arose, which was then picked up by the flywheels in the normal way and flung around the engine.

Enjoy more The Classic MotorCycle reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.

Comments

comments