The first twin

The Maudes Trophy team. From left, Len Crisp, S Slader, Tim Robbins, Bert Perrey and Bob Holliday, with the 6/1 and sidecar which covered 498 miles in 500 minutes.

When designer Valentine Page joined the Triumph Cycle Co in 1932 he knew he would have to come up with some fresh ideas – and fast. Triumph’s motorcycle range was old-fashioned and sales were slower than a side-valve ticking over on full retard.

A quietly spoken gentleman with impeccable manners, Page had worked for JAP where he designed the 350cc ohc single which Bert Le Vack used to break the Junior TT lap record in 1922, and a 250cc version that set the world flying mile record at Arpajon in France.

Advert

Page also worked on the 1000cc ohv V-twins, one of which set the first 100mph lap at Brooklands.

In 1925, he was headhunted by Charles Sangster, boss of Ariel, and as chief designer Page was responsible for the new 500cc ohv and ohc Square Four.

By 1931 Page’s Ariels were wearing four-valve heads, and these bikes would become the famous Red Hunters.

Advert

Read more in April’s issue of TCM
 

Enjoy more The Classic MotorCycle reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.

Comments

comments