This machine is the product of one remarkable man, the legendary Fred Marsh, a dedicated enthusiast best remembered for his home-built, Moto Guzzi-inspired V8.
A fitter and turner at the Harland & Wolff shipyard in Southampton, Marsh had witnessed the MV Agusta and Gilera fours’ rise to dominance in the late 1940s and early 1950s and, in the absence of a response from the British motorcycle industry, he set about creating his own version.
Marsh started design work on the four in 1953, though the machine wasn’t run until 1962.
With the exception of suitably modified Triumph Terrier cylinder heads, chosen partly because of their 75-degree valve angle that permitted the use of MV-type cams, all other parts were designed and made by Fred, including the necessary wooden patterns for all the major castings.
Read more in the June issue of TCM – on sale now!
Enjoy more The Classic MotorCycle reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.