Auctioneer Bonhams is set to sell Fred Merkel’s Honda RC30 and a Yamaha TZ250W used by French star Jean-François Baldé in Paris on February 6-7...
The RC30 was ridden by the American World Superbike champion during the 1989/90 season (estimate €20,000 – €30,000), and the 1989 Yamaha TZ250W was ridden by Jean-François Baldé during his final season of Grand Prix racing (estimate €3500 – €5500).
Also ready to go under the hammer is the entire Garelli Grand Prix collection, featuring some two-dozen historic racing motorcycles from the celebrated Italian manufacturer, many from the factory’s 1980s heyday, and a selection from its prewar days. All the machines, which were housed by their current owner in a private chapel, will be sold at no reserve.
Highlights include the 1963 Garelli 50cc Monza world-record-breaker (estimate €50,000 – €70,000); the ex-Eugenio Lazzarini 1983 50cc racer that helped Garelli to the manufacturers’ World Championship that year (estimate €12,000 – €17,000); and a 1987 example of the 125cc twin that won six riders’ World Championships and four manufacturers’ titles during the 1980s (estimate €7000 – €12,000).
Many famous Italian racers – including Ernesto Gnesa, Tazio Nuvolari and Achille Varzi – began their racing careers on Garelli bikes, and in the early 1980s the factory dominated the 125 class in Grand Prix motorcycle racing, winning six consecutive world championships between 1982
There are also 55 bikes up for sale from the late Claude Lesellier. The eclectic mix includes French, British, German and American motorcycles dating from the early vintage era to the modern day.
• 1935 Magnat Debon 750cc VMA V-twin (estimate €8000 – €12,000)
• 1950 Terrot 500cc RGST (estimate €4500 – €6500)
• 1945 Terrot 350cc JSS (estimate €3000 – €4000)
• 1929 Rhonyx 500cc GX (estimate €6000 – €10,000)
• 1930 Dollar 500cc S3 (estimate €5000 – €6000)
• 1927 Automoto 500cc AL11 Supersport (estimate €10,000 – €15,000)
• c.1921 Magnat Debon 250cc (estimate €6500 – €8500)
• 1918 Harley-Davidson Model 18F Combination (estimate €16,000 – €20,000)
• 1916 Indian 1000cc Powerplus (estimate €20,000 – €25,000)
• 1930 Stylson 350cc RH (estimate €4000 – €5000)
• 1931 Arbinet 350cc BSSC (estimate €5000 – €7000)
Where legends come to life
Got a story for us?
Let us know by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
With roots that stretch back to 1903 and a motorcycling archive without equal, The Classic MotorCycle has more to offer the true vintage motorcycle enthusiast than any other publication.
The Classic MotorCycle is published monthly, and available throughout the world in major outlets or by subscription. It is also available via Zinio digital magazines for PC, Mac or iPad / Android tablets.
• Subscribe today - www.classicmagazines.co.uk