The way we were: February 1988
By: Richard Rosenthal
Much of the work to be focused on the long car circuit with revamped pits area, up to date safety measures, run off areas, colour video track surveillance and designated helicopter landing pads. These improvements were also to the benefit of motorcycle racing. Completed work elsewhere included new bar and restaurant facilities at Mallory Park following an extensive rebuild and modernisation of the 200-year-old coach house.
The rain lashed Conway Club rally field soon looked more like a First World War Somme battlefield than a campsite, forcing more than 100 riders to head straight home after collecting their tin badge. Many of those that stayed the night sheltered in the large marquee while others who pitched tents lost them to the weather. Despite the near washout all who remained were still smiling in the morning and promised to be back again next year. Clearly it’s impossible to keep a true Dragonist down.
Responses to “The way we were: February 1988”
Current Issue: June 2015
Flight of fancy: Wooler's Fab Four
Not so odd OEC: Solidly made single
An Ariel alternative: The forgotten 500cc twin
Sunbeam Motorcycle Club: The 76th Pioneer run
The London to Brighton extravaganza
Trio of Ariel Leaders
AJS Big Port restoration guide
1925 Victory Trial
• Next issue on sale: June 5, 2015