Underrated Big Head
By: Web Editor
An underrated machine, I purchased a 1959 ‘Airflow’ Bullet from Pride & Clarke in May 1962 for the princely sum of £99 – on the ‘drip’ of course. It was used and abused over three years and 37,000 miles, with and without sidecar (and fairing), put through MCC Trials, for TT trips and many runs per week to Johnsons.
It pulled above its weight with or without chair, but I never saw another one on the road. I sold it, together with a 350cc ‘works replica’ trials version spares, for £40. It seemed like a good idea at the time, as did getting £110 p/ex on BMW R60 and Steib for first car, or £45 for ex-works ISDT 250cc BMW, together with a ‘spare’ R25/3. Oh, for a crystal ball.
PS I’ve still got an Airflow front mudguard in my shed from 1964 – you never know when it may come in handy – but it’s free to a good home. Call me 01780 410200
Les Bowler, Grantham, Lincs
Responses to “Underrated Big Head”
Current Issue: Mar 2015
• Free 32-page supplement: 25 Memorable British Bikes
• Thunderbirds are go! Is this the best 650cc Triumph?
• Savage beauty: Wild New Imp • Old peculiar: OEC oddity
• 'Cammy' Square Four • T160 resurrection
• Arthur Bourne profile • Unrestored Monet Goyon
• Maltese collectors • New Imperial Unit Motor
• Next issue on sale: March 6, 2015