By: Web Editor
This is incorrect as I, representing the British Army, completed the course without loss of marks to win a Gold Medal. Dudley Ryder of the Irish Vase Team also won a Gold on a 500 with the earlier frame.
The photo attached (above) shows the eight bikes used in the trial outside the Comp Shop at Redditch, with Jack Booker, Garth Wheldon (Royal Enfield), myself and Colin Moram (Army Team) whose frame broke on the third day.
The Enfield Manufacturers Team of Graham Garner, John Brittain and Peter Stirland had all gone out with broken frames by the fourth day. Of the remaining Irish Vase Riders, Sammy Miller’s frame broke on the fifth day and Bertie Mann and Eric Richardson retired with injuries.
Eric Adcock, Manchester, via email
Responses to “Bullet breakages”
Current Issue: Mar 2015
• Free 32-page supplement: 25 Memorable British Bikes
• Thunderbirds are go! Is this the best 650cc Triumph?
• Savage beauty: Wild New Imp • Old peculiar: OEC oddity
• 'Cammy' Square Four • T160 resurrection
• Arthur Bourne profile • Unrestored Monet Goyon
• Maltese collectors • New Imperial Unit Motor
• Next issue on sale: March 6, 2015